Investigation into murder incident at Lagos free zone

The Nigeria Export Processing Zone Authority (NEPZA), has assured investors, local and foreign operating under the Free Zone Scheme in Nigeria of adequate security of their lives and safety of their investments.

The acting Managing Director, Terhemba Nongo, represented by the General Manager, Zones Operations (Public), Mr Oyesola Oyenle said this in a statement signed by the Head of Corporate Communications of NEPZA, Mr Simon Imobo-Tswam in Abuja.

Imobo-Tswam said Nongo gave the assurance when he led a delegation to pay a condolence visit to the management of LADOL Free Zone in Lagos and the Commandant-General, Mr Abdullahi Muhammadu of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence corps (NSCDC) for the killing of their staff.

Imobo-Tswam said that a Korean National, Mr Taekun Kang, a Manager with SHI-MCI Free Zone Enterprise and a Civil Defence Personnel were allegedly shot dead on April 10, by an operative of the NSCDC identified as Mr Innocent Oshemi.

He said that Oshemi was on guard in the free zone at the time of the incident.

Imobo-Tswam said that while Nongo pledged the agency’s support for full and thorough investigation into the matter, he called for calm to enable the relevant security agencies complete their investigation.

He said that the delegation that accompanied Nongo on the visit included the General Manager, Public Private Partnership (PPP), Alhaji Ahmed Gurin, Head, Lagos Liaison Office, Mr Garba Hayatu and Manager, Free Zones, Mr Aliyu Kachalla among others. (NAN)

Customs portal receives 91,000 applications in 24 hours

Less than 24 hours, after Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) opened its portal for ongoing recruitment exercise, no fewer than 91,000 Nigerians have so far successfully submitted their applications.

One of the officers in charge of the portal at customs’headquarters, Abuja who preferred anonymity said that “as at 4:00 P.M, the applications of 91,000 applicants were successfully received.”

NCS opened its portal at 12:00 a.m. on Wednesday for recruitment of 3,200 officers and men to the service.

The officer disclosed that applications of other Nigerians in diaspora were equally received.

He added that Nigerians in not less than 41 countries had so far applied for various cadres.

The Acting Deputy Comptroller-General of Customs in charge of Human Resources Department, Umar Sanusi, at a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja said 800 would be recruited to fill vacancies in the Support Staff for Superintendent Cadre Category.

Sanusi said 2,400 would fill those of Customs Inspector and Customs Assistant Cadre in the General Duty Categories.

He also said that the service’s portal for the recruitment would be opened for 24 hours and would close after three weeks

Olowo of Owo is dead

Breaking: The Olowo of Owo in Ondo state, Oba Folagbade Olateru-Olagbegi, is dead.

He died at the age of 77.

He was installed as the traditional rule of the ancient town of Owo in 1999 and was given the staff of office in 2003 by the former governor of Ondo state, late Olusegun Agagu.

The Monarch who died on Tuesday night, received his first degree in law from London, UK and attended Nigeria Law school in 1968 before practising Law under the late Fatai Williams.

Details later….

Court orders arrest of Dan Etete, Adoke, Raph Wetzels, 3 others

An Abuja federal high court has issued a warrant of arrest against Dan Etete, a former Minister of Petroleum, and Mohammed Adoke, a former Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, who were implicated in the Malabu Oil scandal.

The warrant was issued by Justice D.Z. Senchi of Jabi Federal High Court, to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, prosecuting the case.

The EFCC also got a warrant to arrest Raph Wetzels, Casula Roberto, Pujato Stefeno, and Burrato Sebastiano.

All the wanted men were meant to be arraigned before Justice Senchi on Wednesday, April 17, 2019 to face charges related to the Malabu Oil Scandal but failed to show up.

The EFCC had since 2017 pressed charges against Shell Nigeria Exploration Production Co. Ltd, Nigeria Agip Exploration Limited, Eni Spa, Raph Wetzels, Casula Roberto, Pujato Stefeno, Burrato Sebastiano, Duazia Louya Etete (aka Dan Etete), Mohammed Bello Adoke, Aliyu Abubakar and Malabu Oil & Gas Limited. All the defendants declared wanted had repeatedly failed to appear before the court.

In view of their persistent absence in court, the EFCC had through its counsel, Aliyu Yusuf, brought a motion ex parte praying the court for a warrant of their arrest, and an order for leave to execute the warrant outside of the jurisdiction of the court.

At today’s proceeding, Justice Senchi, granted the prayers of the EFCC, and ruled that the Nigeria Police, the INTERPOL and any other law enforcement agency should arrest them anywhere they were found including outside jurisdiction of the Federal Capital Territory, (FCT) High Court.

The matter was adjourned till July 11, 2019 for further hearing.

Gunmen Kill 15, Injure 11 In Nasarawa Village Attack

Fifteen people have been killed and 11 others injured after gunmen attacked Numa Kochu village in Nasarawa State.

The police authorities in the state confirmed the figures to Channels Television on Monday.

According to the Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations in the command, Umar Nadada, the incident occurred on Sunday night.

Nadada, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, added that the attack took place in Akwanga Local Government Area of the state.

He explained that some residents of the community were having a birthday party when the gunmen attacked them.

The DCP disclosed that a pregnant woman was among those killed while the injured sustained several degrees of wounds.

He said the bodies of the victims have been deposited at the General Hospital in Akwanga and those injured were also receiving treatment there.

Nadada noted that normalcy has been restored in the community following the deployment of adequate security personnel.

Chibok: We Will Never Give Up On Our Missing Daughters – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has given assurance that his administration will not give up on the remaining girls still in the captivity of Boko Haram terrorist group.

He said this in a series of tweets on Sunday on the occasion of the fifth anniversary of the abduction of the schoolgirls by the insurgents in Chibok community in Borno State in April 2014.

The President noted that while 107 of them have returned, he insisted that the Federal Government would not relent in its efforts in securing the release of the remaining girls and Leah Sharibu, as well as other Nigerians in captivity.

He stressed that he had promised to ensure that all the remaining girls were back and reunited with their families, adding that he was committed to fulfilling his pledge.

President Buhari said thousands of captives had been rescued by the nation’s security forces in the last four years and they would not relent until everyone held captive was freed.

He further congratulated the young women rescued from the terrorists on the successes they have recorded in their various endeavours.

He also praised them for their courage and determination to defy the evil ideology of the insurgents by continuing to pursue their education.

Read the President’s tweets below:

Muhammadu Buhari

@MBuhari
Today marks five years since the abduction of our Chibok daughters. We have succeeded in bringing back 107 of them, but we will not rest until all the remaining girls are back and reunited with their families. I made this promise when I became President, and I will keep it.

5,330
10:09 AM – Apr 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
2,616 people are talking about this

Muhammadu Buhari

@MBuhari
· 9h
Today marks five years since the abduction of our Chibok daughters. We have succeeded in bringing back 107 of them, but we will not rest until all the remaining girls are back and reunited with their families. I made this promise when I became President, and I will keep it.

Muhammadu Buhari

@MBuhari
We will never give up on our missing daughters, including Leah Sharibu; and all the other people held hostage by Boko Haram. In the last four years our security agencies have successfully rescued thousands of captives, and they will not relent until every captive is free.

707
10:15 AM – Apr 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
278 people are talking about this

Muhammadu Buhari

@MBuhari
Replying to @MBuhari
It gladdens our hearts to see the progress being made by the young women rescued from Boko Haram. We celebrate their courage & determination to defy the evil ideology of the terrorists, by continuing to pursue their education. There is no doubt that the world is inspired by them.

1,001
10:23 AM – Apr 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
288 people are talking about this

Muhammadu Buhari

@MBuhari
Replying to @MBuhari
I extend our best wishes to all the Chibok girls in various schools in Nigeria and around the world. Special congratulations to Kauna Yaga Bitrus, who has excelled in her college in Maine, USA, and will very soon be receiving an ‘Against All Odds Award’ from her school.

1,025
10:28 AM – Apr 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
353 people are talking about this

At least 20 killed in market blast in Pakistani city of Quetta

At least 20 people were killed and dozens injured when a bomb claimed by a Sunni Muslim militant group ripped through a fruit market in the Pakistani city of Quetta on Friday.


The attack hit the city’s Hazarganji district, which is home to a large community from the Hazara Shia Muslim minority, Quetta’s Deputy Inspector General of Police, Razzaq Cheema.


At least seven Hazara were among the dead, along with one security official, Cheema said.

In a news conference, Ziaullah Langove, home minister for Balochistan, said it was a suicide attack, confirmed the death toll and added that as many as 48 people were injured.

Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a Sunni militant group known to target the Hazara community, said it carried out the bombing.

“We claim responsibility for the attack in Quetta,” Qari Saifullah, a spokesman for the group. “We targeted the Hazara community.

Quetta, the capital of Pakistan’s restive southwestern province of Balochistan, is often targeted by militants, although this was the first such attack this year. “We will not bow before terrorists,” Balochistan’s chief minister, Jam Kamal, said in a statement shortly after the bombing.

Swarm Of Bees Kill Nigerian Customs Officer While On Duty

The Nigeria Customs Service has just lost an officer.

CSC Abba Abubakar, an officer of the Nigeria Customs Service operating at the Seme customs command, along Ashipa axis of Badagry, Lagos State, has died.

He died on Tuesday after he was stung by bees, while on a patrol duty and has since been buried according to Islamic rites.

Three men and one woman were shot in California

Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore said three men and one woman were shot near the intersection of 103rd and Main Street, while one of the victims later died.

“We must stop this senseless violence,’’ Moore said on Twitter.

The shooting occurred after the procession for the slain rapper had left Watts, and there are no indications the violence was connected to the memorial.

Hussle’s killing on March 31 in front of his clothing store made international headlines.

Moore and other community leaders have said his death is part of a larger increase in killings in the area.

In the week leading up to Hussle’s death, 11 people were slain in LA – over double in 2018 weekly average.

About half the killings occurred in south LA, while all of the victims were black or Latino.

Officials described the recent surge as possibly a back-and-forth between rival gangs.

The night Hussle was shot; Moore noted on Twitter that the killing represented “the latest loss in a troubling surge in violence.

“Since Sunday, 26 victims have been shot, while 10 were a homicide that is 36 families left picking up the pieces.

“We will work aggressively with our community to quell this senseless loss of life,’’ Moore stressed.

There have been no reports of violence related to the Hussle procession, which drew tens of thousands to the streets of south LA.

Abuja Indigenes Protest At National Assembly

A group of people under the aegis of Coalition of FCT Indigenous Groups have staged a protest at the National Assembly in Abuja.

The protesters on Thursday condemned the killing of one Hamza Haruna allegedly by security operatives in the nation’s capital.

In a letter addressed to the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, the groups alleged that the belongings of Abuja indigienes were being robbed.

They also claimed that their lands were being acquired and farm crops being destroyed by those they described as “invaders”.

The letter, which dated April 11, 2019, was signed by the coordinator-general of the groups, Kamal Shuaibu.